Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing

Isn't that what business leaders drive into our heads??? It's all about the marketing. I'm almost thinking I should have went to school for a marketing degree instead of business management. I never realized how much work marketing a small business with an extremely limited budget can be. And I've only hit the tip of the iceberg! They say that you should spend a minimum of 75% of your time marketing a new business. Once you have the sources, the leads will roll in. (Boy I can't wait for that day!)

That said, I'll segment into my day... Today was an awesomely productive day. After getting Kris ready and off to school, I spent about 1 1/2 down at the courthouse doing research. I got 37 leads which isn't too bad since this is pretty much my first time looking through real estate documents (and wow can they be crazy confusing). After I got home, I spent the next 3 hours on the phone hashing out details for different things, paying bills, and setting up the database to keep my research and lead prospects organized. It's been a long time since I've used Access for anything other than an already previously created template. And that was just to catalog our CD's/DVD's. Plus, Microsoft had the bright idea to change the interface of the Office Suite in 2007 so now I have no idea where any of the buttons are. That took me a better part of 2 hours to figure out and by that time, Kris was home. We hung out for most of the evening and while she got a shower, I got the first round of postcards (first marketing endeavor) typed, printed, signed, and stamped. They are ready for the mailbox tomorrow. Now this is where I have intensely mixed feelings. Up until now, this has just been a okay, this is what I want to do and this is what I would like see happen. But now, reality is starting to set in and I know the minute I mail these postcards, I will more than likely start getting calls. That's a little scary to me since I'm still in the learning stage. I guess the one really awesome thing about this job is that it really is a learn as you earn business. On one hand, that's great because I don't have to study for years before starting to make money. On the other hand, that's a little disconcerting for me. I'm one of those I have to know everything before jumping in. I'm excited and apprehensive all at the same time.

Well, I'm off to do homework and finally sit down to knit. I have to at least finish this lace repeat or this blanket will never get finished. Until next time, much love and many blessings!!

♥Courtney♥

P.S. If you want to find out what I'm working on, check out my crafting blog: On My Needles!

No comments:

Post a Comment